Friday, January 29, 2016

Thirty days

My body has trouble processing foods with flour in them, like bread, pasta, crackers, bagels, pie crusts, scones, muffins, and some soups and sauces. How do I know this? Because when I eat those sorts of foods, my stomach expands between one and two inches, and my fasting blood sugar in the morning is higher than normal. So as much as I love these things - truly, I have an unhealthy attachment to sugary baked goods - they do not make my body happy nor healthy and I have decided to get them out of my life.

Along with eliminating all flour from my foods, I'm also breaking my obsession with eating something sweet after dinner/before bed. Even if I have sufficient calories for one of these treats, it doesn't help my overnight fasting blood sugar when I eat so late.

field of violets
Violets, by William, via Flickr
Finally, I'm declaring something I've been trying to incorporate into my food plan for a while now: I don't need to eat anything with more than 20 grams of sugar per serving. I could probably squash that down to 10 or fewer grams per serving but I really love my morning cup of flavored Greek yogurt with 12 grams, plus the Larabars that I love (my favorites are Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Coconut Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, and Pecan Pie) have between 16 and 20 grams of sugar per bar and I don't want to give them up, either. So, 20 or fewer grams of sugar per serving for everything that goes in my mouth.

I'm committing to giving this approach to eating a try for the next month because that feels long enough that I should be able to evaluate how my body feels and whether I want to continue with these eating guidelines, tweak them a little, or toss them completely. I'll check in here periodically to document how it's going and how I feel.

Have any of you given up flour and/or foods high in sugar? If so, how did you find it and did you do it for a fixed period of time or as part of a longer term strategy to improve your health?

No comments: