Achieving Goals

This post is written as part of the 6 Weeks of Bliss Challenge, hosted by Bliss Connect. I am not being compensated in any way for writing this other than being given an interesting topic that actually makes me want to write, and all thoughts expressed here are my own.

I'll be honest: I'm not much for sticking with things. Ever since my mother freed me from my required piano lessons when I turned 12, I'm a notorious quitter. Wish it weren't so but I'm 44 now and I'm not sure how much I can do about that.

Given that sad truth, I haven't really been much for setting goals and seeing them through. With that in mind, I did sit down around New Year's to think about what I wanted to achieve in 2012 and it basically boiled down to this: wake up every morning determined to be as happy and healthy as I can. In order to get there, here's what I will do to get there:

1. 30 minutes of activity, non-negotiable, most days - no more, no less. I think I probably need to focus on getting it done in the morning before the day gets away from me and that way if I manage to get something else done in the afternoon then it will be like icing on the cake. (Mmmm, cake.) I will Tweet and blog what I have done for my 30 minutes each day for accountability. Please yell at me on Twitter or in the comments if you don't hear from me.

2. I am going to sign up for a mindfulness based stress reduction class at my Alma mater, UC San Diego. Stress and anxiety are both part of why I binge eat and I'd like to find something not as self-destructive as binge eating that will help me relax.

3. I called the property management company yesterday to see about getting a new plot in the community garden. I want to plant veggies that I like to eat and hopefully that will be further motivation to cook at home. As a matter of fact, I'm pledging to cook at home one night a week and I will Tweet and blog about that each week. Keep me accountable, please!

And that's it. I will check in every so often - at least once per quarter - to see how I'm doing and see if I am ready to add anything else. This isn't about checking off boxes, though, it's about getting me to a happier and healthier place, whatever that means to me as I grow and change, so my commitments will also need to be flexible.

Comments

Popular Posts