Another video blog and some acceptance (I think)

Truly, I have to stop taking video of myself while in the most unflattering light and angles possible - yikes!

Anyway, I'm doing my best to look at testing my blood glucose and calibrating with what I've eaten that day as a scientific experiment and not get emotional about it. It's tough but it seems to be working. I just can't keep beating myself up for every little thing, not just because I'm trying to be kinder to myself but also because stress and frustration raise my blood sugar. (Isn't that a happy little factoid?)

Along the lines of trying to be kinder to myself, I had to take it a little slower than I'd planned last night on the treadmill. I have a training schedule set up for myself in order to get to a 45 minute 5K before Labor Day and that schedule last night said I should be doing 3.3 mph for 25 minutes + 3.6 mph for 5 minutes. I don't know if my body didn't get the message or just didn't care, but it hurt - and not in an "I'm working hard and it feels good" kind of way - when I tried to walk 3.3 mph, so I chose to do 3.0 mph for 30 minutes and 3.3 mph for 5 minutes instead of following the training plan. The difference in calories/sugar burned is just not significant enough to push myself past the edge of pain, so why? Felt great afterward and dinner didn't make me feel yucky, so that's a very good thing, too.

Maybe I'm starting to get into a groove? Man, I hope so.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi again, Denise. I applaud you for your insight and your commitment to becoming a healthier person. I think you actually look calmer and more centered in this video, and it's only been a few days -

I wonder - is it possible for you to get up way early and get your workout in before you go to work?

That's what I do - and seriously, my alarm clock is set for 4:30 a.m. which I realize is obscenely early, but I get to the gym very early, come home to shower, breakfast and dress before work, and it's already out of the way before I have a chance to get side-tracked later in the day. The other upside to scheduling my work-out that way is that I jump start my metabolism at the beginning of the day, rather than a few hours before I go to bed ... seems to help my body burn the calories more efficiently throughout the day.

I do understand it is a crazy time to get up and moving, but one thing that surprises me is that there are A LOT of other women who are there at the gym at 5:45 a.m. along with me.

Took me about a month or two of forcing myself to get into the "habit" of rising so early, but now after about ten years it is second nature ... and on the weekends I "sleep in" until 6:30 and feel downright decadent ... :)


Leslie
debby said…
I liked your realization. The thing about diabetes is that the damage is being done almost completely in secret. You don't 'feel' things going bad until it is too late. Which I think makes it harder to acknowledge and fight. Unlike, say, arthritis, where every step you take reminds you that the extra weight hurts.

Just want to cheer you on in your quest to get a grip on this disease. Knowledge is power. Sounds like you are doing it right (going to the diabetic educator and all.) My dad was diabetic and suffered a lot of the negative effects of it.

Popular Posts