Walking for those who can't

This morning I had the rare privilege of participating in a walk to help find a cure for diabetes. I say I was privileged because I am a diabetic and this disease takes a terrible toll on the bodies of those who live (and sometimes die) with it. So I laced up my walking shoes, drove down to San Diego, and walked 3.2 miles to raise money for the American Diabetes Association.

There are so many terrifying statistics about this disease, so many complications to worry about, but the thing that scares me the most is this: of the 24 million people who have diabetes, 6 million have no idea. Without proper treatment, the chances of developing complications are really frightening. So, I dedicated my walk this morning to each of those 6 million bodies still waiting to be diagnosed. Could you or a loved one be one of them? Check out the most common symptoms and get to your doctor for a blood sugar test if you have one or more:
  • Frequent urination
  • Unusual thirst
  • Extreme hunger
  • Unusual weight loss
  • Extreme fatigue and Irritability
  • Frequent infections
  • Blurred vision
  • Cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
  • Tingling/numbness in the hands/feet
  • Recurring skin, gum, or bladder infections

Comments

gingersnapper said…
Why is it that we never get the GOOD symptoms, like UNUSUAL WEIGHT LOSS???
gingersnapper said…
Whoops, I meant "we" to indicate fat people; didn't mean to give the impression I have diabetes.

Popular Posts