Look, Mum, I ate my Brussel's without you standing over me with a stick!


I have always loathed Brussel's Sprouts, mostly, I think, because my mum boiled them to death, making the house smell foul and the poor veggies look and taste awful. But I know that my body needs dark green leafy veggies and we saw these lovely, fresh, bright green specimens at the farmer's market and I thought, "Why not?"

Our dinner consisted of chicken breast grilled on the indoor grill, whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce, and roasted Brussel's Sprouts. I'm going to tell Mummy about it but not until I can make sure she's sitting down first - don't want her to faint.

Comments

Anne said…
My mother cooked Brussels Spouts in the same manner - boiled until they smelled and tasted like old gym socks. Turned me and my sisters off of Brussels for life.... And then I watched a Good Eats episode where Alton cooked Brussels. That's when the lightbulb went off - my mom was WRONG! (No surprise there...LOL)

I love love love roasted Brussels. The moment Brussels go below $2, I snap them up. The last time they were on sale at the store, I cleaned them out! And my 5 year old LOVES them - I usually have to fight her off for fear that she'll eat MY portion after she downed hers.

Last year at Thanksgiving, I took a bagful home with me and made them for my family. My sisters gave them a try and commented that they were a major improvement over my mother's gym-sock-sprouts. And my mom? Well, she told me, "I don't know...I like them my way better."

Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. *rolls eyes*

Popular Posts