Love and joy

Monday morning. I don't remember who sings the song that contains the lyrics, "What the world needs now is love, sweet love - it's the only thing that's there's just too little of," but it's just going around and around in my head. So many people want to argue about the holidays or a parking space or a Christmas tree or whatever and I just want to smash their heads together and tell them to chill out. Seriously, folks, life is too darned precious and all-too brief and there are no do-overs, so take some time to enjoy what you have.

For me, this weekend was all about love and joy. Friday night I enjoyed some nice red wine wtih friends at work and had to stay at work until nearly 8:00 p.m. so that the buzz could wear off. (What a lightweight!) Saturday morning I watched Alcott's little brother bowl then swung by to get Alcott so that all of the siblings (plus both CASAs) could head off to the Voices for Children holiday party. They got lots of stuff, including $50 Visa gift cards, and we spent about four hours there before I took them home via Fry's. I dropped the last one off at 7:00 p.m., 30 minutes after I was supposed to be at the VLSCI holiday party - oops. Fortunately, TCB was running late, and we finished getting ready at exactly the same time. After a lengthy line for the valet, we spent four hours at the party and lots of people that I work with got to admire his uniform (and my tiara - yes, I really wore a tiara in public). Yesterday we woke up, had breakfast, and then went out to get a tree for my condo. TCB left for home at about 10:00 p.m. and I turned out all of the lights so that I could admire the lights on my tree.

God, I am so lucky. I have kids who love me and who do what I ask without whining or begging even when it's something "stupid". I have good friends at work who I actually like spending time with outside of work. I have TCB who hauled the tree home with me and helped me put the lights on even though he had to be to work early this morning. I have my parents and Gloria and the cats and my warm, cosy condo and the Junior League and Gingerbread Lattes and so much more and I just want to sing from the rooftops.

This is what Christmas is all about...love and joy.

(p.s. Two people have told me how "cute" TCB was from the party just while I've been writing this. And he wondered if wearing the uniform was a good idea!)

Comments

Popular Posts