Thursday afternoon. I keep looking at the war news, almost compulsively, as though I can influence events just by paying enough attention.

I read something on eDiets which contained some really powerful thoughts that have stayed with me since I read it. The theme of the article, basically, is that some people spend all of their time saying "yes" to food and "no" to the rest of their life. Wow. One of those "a-ha" moments for me for sure! What I've come to understand, slowly and painfully, is that I say "no" to far too many things in my life. I play it small and am so obsessed with being "safe" that what I've most significantly saved myself from is life itself. Same with constantly saying yes to food that I shouldn't be eating, that is bad for my health, and that detracts from my desired goal of getting into better shape. There was also an article by another behavioral psychologist that basically said the commitment and sacrifice necessary to make real lifestyle changes was incredibly tough and that those that do so successfully were brave. I think that's what I've known all along...that my inability to stick with the changes I know that I need to make is basically a function of my own weakness and that I just need to "buck up" and push through the initial discomfort. Look at all of the time I've wasted in my life obsessing about my weight and what to eat or whether or not I'm exercising enough. What else could I have done with my life if I'd just resolved this whole thing and moved on to something more important? Frustrating.

Reading a great book, "A Traitor to Memory" by Elizabeth George. It's a British mystery with lots of shifts in focus and timeframes, keeping you on your toes trying to keep up with the information you're getting. I'm a little more than 1/4 through after just starting it yesterday and it's a LONG book, so you know how much I am enjoying it. I think I'll have to add her books to my list of mystery series' I'm in the middle of.

Comments

Popular Posts